This marked the first time American Medical Response had used the narcotic antidote on a child in New Hampshire, AMR communications director Kim Warth told CNN.
The child remained hospitalized Thursday in stable condition. He has been placed in the care of a different family member than he was with at the time of the incident, police in Manchester said in a news release.
Manchester Police detectives are now investigating the case as a possible overdose. No arrests have been made, police said.
Investigators have not released what drugs the boy may have been exposed to or who he was with at the time.
“When you have a young child, it could be as simple as touching an area on a kitchen table, or a spoon, or a sink, or a doorknob,” O’Keefe told WBZ. “If there’s trace amounts of some kind of opiate derivative with the fentanyl or carfentanyl, it can have dire consequences.”
A potentially lethal dose for a child is even smaller — just 1 to 1.5 milligrams. That’s a little smaller than the head of a pin.
‘It gives me chills’
New Hampshire is “sort of the focal point” of the country’s opioid epidemic, Warth said.
“It sort of just gives me chills, and I’m thinking that nobody is really untouched by this thing,” Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) assistant special agent Jon DeLena told WMUR.
Though the DEA is not directly involved with the case of the 6-year-old boy, the incident proves there is still work to be done, DeLena told WMUR.
“That’s why it’s so important that we continue to have these conversations with our children,” he said.
Those who live nearby say they are concerned about the incident and the message it sends.
“You can’t let a 6-year-old find something and take it and almost die over it,” neighbor Al Pellerin told WMUR.